POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : assumed_gamma makes a lemon out of U and my orange : Re: assumed_gamma makes a lemon out of U and my orange Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: assumed_gamma makes a lemon out of U and my orange
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 11 Nov 2005 18:27:00
Message: <MPG.1dded66182699b08989e4d@news.povray.org>
In article <437420f7$1@news.povray.org>, tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom says...
> You'll see exactly the same thing if you take a photo of an orange, then
> load it into your favourite paint program and gamma correct it.
>
> Gamma effectively adjusts the brightness of the midtones and leaves 0 and 1
> in the same place, so if your orange colour is <1,0.5,0> then with
> assumed_gamma it will look more like <1,.73,0>, which is
> <1,pow(0.5,1/2.2),0> because your monitor gamma is probably 2.2ish.
>
> If you want to pick a colour in a paint program and have it look the same in
> pov then you need to gamma correct it from your monitor's gamma space (the
> space you picked it in) into the assumed_gamma space you've told pov to work
> in. Usually that means applying pow(<colour>, 2.2) to it.
>
> Personally I find it's just easier to always work with assumed_gamma 1
> turned on, and pick numbers in pov that look right, and forget about gamma
> space altogether.

The assumption, (or at least how I assume its supposed to work), is that
they set your assumed gamma to what your display actually is, so that if
someone looks at it on one with a 1.0, it looks the same as on a 2.2, or
the same on a 2.2 as it did on your 1.0 display, etc. What people are
screwing up is that they are setting the gamma to something that has
*nothing* to do with their displays actual gamma, so when they load it
one something else, it looks wrong. In the case of programs that
correctly handle the setting in the file, *they* are assuming the 'real'
gamma is different that your monitor and are dropping or increasing the
image colors to 'match' what they 'think' your display uses, which is by
default 1.0, not 2.2. In other words, those programs are doing exactly
what they are told and compensating for *their* assumed gamma of 1.0, by
shifting everything to 2.2, when in fact the display is the same one as
used to produce the image, so 'should' have the same 'real' gamma.

Basically, if you use the damn thing wrong, its your own fault when it
doesn't work, which is imho a real good reason to leave it at 1.0, then
let those application, if they are set up correctly, adjust things to the
gamma or the display, not the other way around. Its like manufacturing
something that uses AA batteries, then 'suggesting' in the manual that
they try to cram a 9V battery into it. Of course its going to go wrong.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else